Monday, March 19, 2007

Trust Me




The only name I could possible give this piece is "Trust Me". She looks so open and pleading, but there is also something sinister and creepy about her, too.

I tend to have 2 types of characters - ones that are placed in a context, and ones that stand alone. There are positives and negatives to both types of creations. A character with a context, like a related background, tell an entire story. For each of these pieces, I agonize over every detail. Sketch after sketch, I work out the nuances of the figure and struggle with proper perspective. In the character without context pieces, the figure and the background are more spontaneous. They are less perfect, and more open to interpretation. I do not give you the surroundings that would give them more meaning. I leave it for the viewer to form more of their own oppinions.

This picture is an example of the later. I did very few sketches of this centaur, and none of them included the background. The colors and feel were very spontaneous. All that I knew is that I wanted to convey a feeling of coolness, isolation, and desire. The ground looks like something from a dream, and she may be in the fog or in twilight. But without context, that is open to interpretation. I didn't know that I was going to surround her with a purple bush and flowers, but once she was drawn, I knew she needed some folliage. Classically, centaurs are nature focused and wild. Though she is not a classic centaur, she still needed some reference to her environment, and wild, flowery, stark bushes seemed to fit the bill.

Would you trust her?

watercolor, graphite, paper

original - SOLD

No comments: