Friday, March 16, 2007

"Black Ballarina"




This picture is one of my first attempts at watercolors, and I am really happy with how it turned out. Watercolor is so easy to use because it lends a power of suggestion - the way the water pulls and settles adds texture and dimension that I have a hard time achieving with other mediums.

For a long time, I have had a hard time figuring out what I want to say in my art. Putting an idea in the flat sometimes undermines what you are trying to say. In these pieces, I am less specific about what I am trying to say. I am letting the images speak for themselves instead of my trying to convey my meaning through art.

I feel like this one is saying "I may be some alone and some sad, but I am indifferent to what you think." There is a (Jackson Brown?) song that says "in the end there is one dance you'll do alone." There is a sadness to that, but also a feeling of complete freedom and independence. In the end, you are the only one you know you have.

No comments: