Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"The Tortoise and the Hare"



"The Tortoise and the Hare" 7.5"x11" Watercolor and graphite on coldpress paper

This painting represents a new breakthrough for me artistically. Before, my paintings were very abstract, and the most common comment I got was "It makes me think of Tim Burton." I don't want to be a hack and do paintings that people immediately associate with well established characters. I want my style to be my own, and while painting children and animals in surreal situations is nothing new, each of them have my own unique perspective.

I like to use children in my recent work. They are innocence confronting the big, scary, confusing world. Through their eyes, you can see from a different perspective. Things look more amazing and daunting.

This painting, "The Tortoise and the Hare", is a study of hue, saturation, and dimension. The tortoise will never win the race because it is tethered by the girl wearing the rabbit mask.

No comments: